San Jose Pediatric Dentist
If you are looking for a pediatric dentist, the general dentists at Hillsdale Dental Care are family dentists who treat children as young as two- or three-years-old. We love treating children. They have fun in our office. And we receive many positive comments from parents on why they trust us—and prefer us—for their children’s dental care.
Pediatric Dentist vs. General, Family Dentist
A pediatric dentist is a licensed specialist who has received two years of post-graduate training specific to dentistry for children. Dr. Magdalena Azzarelli and Dr. Rogé Jacob are general dentists, and their dental school training taught them to care for children’s basic dental needs. They have lots of experience treating children, and children love them. It’s rare that your child’s dental care will require a pediatric dental specialist, but if he or she needs one, our family dentists will refer you.
Prepare Your Child for a Dental Visit
If you’re already our patient, we welcome you to bring your child with you to your own dental appointment. He or she will see how our family dentist examines and cleans your teeth to keep them healthy. Your child will notice how you leave our office with a smile and will likely want to imitate you.
What you can do at home
- When your child’s first tooth erupts, use a soft, damp cloth to gently wipe it.
- When molars appear, brush them with a soft toothbrush and floss between them.
- Practice good oral hygiene at home, and when your child is very young, let him or her watch you floss and brush your teeth. Explain that flossing and brushing keep teeth healthy and strong.
- Talk with your child about your dental visits. If possible, bring him or her with you to a dental visit.
- When your child is about three years old, teach him or her to hold and use a toothbrush.
- At age seven or eight, if your child has enough dexterity, teach him or her how to floss between and around teeth.
Our family dentists recommend and offer Oral-B toothbrushes that are specifically designed for children. They clean gently, but thoroughly, and they feature Disney® characters to help to make brushing fun.
How We Make Dentistry for Kids Fun
Our family dentists include you in your child’s dental visit. We welcome and encourage you to stay with your child throughout his or her visit. We speak with children on their level, so they understand what’s happening during their visit and why it’s happening.
We have a toy box and fun stickers for children, and we blow up balloons for them. While in the treatment room, they can watch cartoons so they won’t be overly concerned with the sight and sounds of dental equipment.
If your child is nervous and doesn’t want to proceed with any treatment, we stop until he or she is comfortable—even if that means rescheduling the appointment. We ensure that children have positive experiences with us, so when they become adults, they won’t dread going to the dentist.
Parents’ Comments on Our Family Dentists
Although we can tell you much more about how our family dentists give your child positive dental experiences, what the parents of our children patients have to say is just as—if not more important. Consider some of their comments:
- “We recently took our three-year-old son to his very first dental office visit and I have to say that Dr. Azzarelli is an outstanding doctor who has a lot of patience with young kids. She took her time to explain to my son how every instrument is used. It made my son feel very comfortable being in the chair and allowed her to do the examination with no trouble. I highly recommend her to anyone with children.” – Carmel L.
- “My eight-year-old son loves the hygienist. She is very sweet, gentle, and thorough in the care and treatment of her patients.” – Anonymous
- “My five-year-old was apprehensive but received the kindness and encouragement she needed to complete her exam. I have several friends who have complained about the “hoopla” of going to a pediatric dental practice and I have to say I am just thrilled that my daughter has had a more traditional dental office experience. I feel Hillsdale Dental is a perfect choice!” – Jessica S.
- “I brought my four-year-old there. You are the first pediatric dental practice I’ve seen in San Jose that actually tailors to kids’ needs. You know how to talk to and work with the children. You are very patient and you explain what you are going to do. You let the kids touch and feel the tools before the procedure.” – Anonymous
Schedule a Family Dentist Appointment or a Complimentary Consultation
If you want a dentist whom you and your child can trust—and who makes you feel relaxed—call us to schedule an appointment for an exam. If you prefer to visit our office with your child first, meet our staff and one of our family dentists, and ask a few questions, we welcome you to request a complimentary consultation.
Please contact us by phone at (408) 267-2550 or by mail at 1660 Hillsdale Ave, Suite 130, San Jose, CA 95124