Not much surprises us about teeth. We’re dentist after all! However, we have come across some very interesting and fun facts about those pearly whites over the years.
We bet you’ll be amazed (and entertained) too when you read these 15 fun facts about teeth:
1. Over their lifetime, the average American spends 38.5 total days brushing their teeth.
2. Your tooth enamel is the hardest substance in the human body.
3. Those who drink three or more glasses of soda each day have 62% more tooth decay, fillings and tooth loss than others.
4. Don’t skip the floss! If you do, you miss cleaning 40% of your tooth surfaces. Make sure you brush and floss twice a day!
Don’t skip the floss! Your teeth and gums will thank you.
5. Did you know… If you’re right handed, you will chew your food on your right side. If you’re left handed, you will tend to chew your food on your left side.
6. Children in North America spend about 2 billion dollars on chewing gum every year.
7. When selecting dental supplies, more people choose blue toothbrushes than red ones.
8. Like fingerprints, everyone’s tongue print is unique.
And like finger prints, tooth prints are also unique to each individual.
Who smiles more—men or women? The average woman smiles 62 times a day. The average man smiles about 8 times a day.
11. Children laugh around 400 times a day, adults just 15 times a day.
12. By age 17, at least 78% of Americans will have had at least 1 cavity.
13. Commercial floss was first manufactured in 1882.
14. What do people notice first about you? Surveys say that 50% of those responding say that someone’s smile is the first thing they notice.
The average person only brushes for 45 to 70 seconds a day, way shorter than the recommended 2-3 minutes per brushing.